Vision of the University Library
The vision of Prof. Festus Aghagbo Nwako Library is summarized as follows:
- To rank among the world’s best academic libraries.
- To employ the best practices in Librarianship and Information Technology to provide the necessary support to teaching, research and information literacy in the University.
- To achieve discipline, self reliance and excellence in the conduct of its affairs.
Mission of the University Library
The mission of the University Library is to harness all relevant human and material resources in support of teaching, research and information literacy efforts of the University. Its mission can be itemized as follows:
- To make the Library the academic nerve-centre of the University, a world class University Library and to launch Unizik to greater global visibility to rank the first among African Universities and among the 500 foremost world class Universities.
- To lift the University Library to the standard expected of it and to keep pace with the current ever-dynamic Information and Communication Technology (ICT) which are very relevant to the University Library
- Doubling the present size of the Library’s holding of journals, books and other materials by the year 2012 by adopting very aggressive collection development strategy.
- Digitization of the library’s resources and automation of processes.
- Provision of adequate professional staff and retraining of serving staff to meet the needs and challenges of the new information age.
- Creating more links external bodies and vital data bases and provision of facilities for real time information services.